Pages

Monday, July 8, 2013

Shrimp is the fruit of the sea!

"Shrimp is the fruit of the sea."  Or so says Bubba in Forest Gump.

Shrimp is also supposed to be a pretty dang healthy protein, so I figured what the heck - let's give it a whirl!

Now, I am not typically a fishy kinda gal and typing that out sounds weird! but I am trying like heck to get outside my comfort box.

Why?  Because I will get Bored.  That's right - Bored with a capital B!!  

If I get bored, I want to eat my trigger foods like pizza and ice cream and plain chips with ketchup.  Yummmmmm!  

Plus, I've also figured out that the reason people stay at a healthy weight is not just because they exercise, it's because they eat a balanced diet and are active in general.  They are sitting around on their ass watching TV all day while stuffing their face full of their favorite food, whatever that might be.  Too much of anything isn't good!

So I digress...back to shrimp.

I was in Target and came across Campbell's Scampi Sauce.  Hmmm...I like shrimp scampi!  So, DING!  Light bulb went off!

I could do a shrimp scampi pasta - easy peasy!

Now I know, pasta?!?!?!  Isn't that like the alpha carb?  Yes and No.  

See there is this awesome pasta out there called Dreamfields and it rocks my world.  I don't know the specifics but it some how 'protects' carbs so the only digestible carbs (the important ones) comes to a count of FIVE.  Not bad considering most pasta is like 40+.

So back to my pasta idea.

I got me my sauce together, cooked my shrimp and thought TOMATOES!  Why not roast up some fabulous tomatoes?!?!


Sliced thin with some garlic, olive oil, salt & pepper
Smelled awesome while baking!!  Baked at 400 for roughly 20 minutes.
Added some freshly grated Parm --WAY less cheese then I normally would use.  Go me!
And once those beauties were out of the oven, I through my shrimp scampi + pasta + sauce together and the tomatoes on top.
This picture looks super yellow - not sure why.  Grr!
And hooray!  A pretty healthy dinner and man was I ready to sink my teeth into it.

Calorie Countdown:
Pasta Dish
Sauce - 70 cal per 1/4 cup
Noodles - 190 cal per 2 oz.  It looks like I have more than 2 ounces on the plate above but I weighed it to be accurate.
Shrimp - 84 cal per 3 oz of shrimp
Total Calories:  344 

Tomatoes:
Depends on tomatoes, but around 30 calories (includes oil used).

So my meal was under 400 and I was excited because that meant a little dessert (Skinny Cow)!

Unfortunately, the dinner was a bust.

Tomatoes were good.  Shrimp Scampi was good.  Tomatoes with the Shrimp Scampi - YUCK!

So shit....I didn't eat very much.  And was bummed.  Dammit!  I wanted it to be freaking amazing!

Oh well....

The upside to my weekend was on Saturday.  Baby Sprout, husband, and I went to the track to start week 2 of Couch to 5K.  I was doing it!  Really doing it!!  And then Sprout got hot, so back to home we went with only 11 minutes left.  So instead of quitting, I got back out in the sun and finished when we got home.  Husband watched Sprout so I could finish, and then he took his turn and finished.  I could have given up - I had a good excuse to do it, but I said NO!  Not quitting this time!!!  Take that fat!

No comments:

Post a Comment