Pages

Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Review: iPhone App - IntervalTimer

Back in 2012, Jake and I joined a boxing gym and LOVED IT!  The first 15 minutes were basically plyometric exercises and then 30 minutes of intervals of boxing and other exercises.  The last 15 minutes were dedicated to abs and honestly, by that time, I was so beat I was lucky to participate in half of the ab exercises.  But I felt pretty damn good that I went from ZERO ability to doing a sit-up to rocking them out right before I quit due to my pregnancy.

What I really liked about the workout is that it kept things mixed up.  My body never knew what it was in for, which I contribute to part of my success.  Now, I never got to my goal weight because Baby came along and even though I had intentions of working out my entire pregnancy, I got scared and stopped probably around 5 or 6 months.  Hence - weight gain!!  Which, duh, I was pregnant, it was going to happen.  But I didn't stay as "fit" as I'd like to have been.  

Anyway, so at the gym they had an alarm they could set for intervals or rounds of boxing.  I had asked around where I could find such an alarm and usually got blank stares at the stores I visited.  Either I described it totally wrong or they truly didn't have it.  

But thank goodness for smartphone apps!!  I found an app appropriately titled IntervalTimer.

I love it!  It's exactly what I needed.  I downloaded a ton of other 'interval alarms' but they either were too convoluted or didn't meet my needs.  This one was actually free and just what the doctor ordered.

Here's what it looks like:

Opening and Lock Screen
Basically, what I did was set up some go-to workouts.  I set up some that are 15 minutes or if it was on the weekend and I wanted a longer workout, I set up some longer times.  

For my Workout 3x5 Plyometric (ignore the typo in the screen shot!), I set it up to do three 5 minute sessions.  I do 5 exercises - 1 minute for each exercise.  I then do that 3 times for a total of 15 minutes.  This is a great way to squeeze in a high powered, but short workout and it really gets your heart rate up.  

Settings of workout and intervals

The app will let you set up High and Low intervals.  Because I can't do 3 rounds of plyometrics back to back, I set up a 'low' interval so I could jog in place, get a drink of water, tell myself I won't die, and in general give me a breather.  Then back to it!!  

When I'm boxing, I usually do 3 minutes of boxing and then 1 to 2 minutes of some other exercise and repeat it as many times as I feel fit that day - usually based on how much time I actually can dedicate to working out. 

Oh and the app will let you play music you've downloaded too.  Only downside to this app is I don't think they make it for Androids.  Sorry!

Now I am no expert on exercising, but I did have a trainer once and she taught me a LOT.  I mean a LOT a LOT.  And she always used to tell me during my reps or when she had my jogging fast that anyone can do one more second or one more rep. 

 So, set yourself a goal and try to reach it.  If you struggle, tell yourself....

 "Anyone can do one more second, one more minute, one more lap, one more rep, etc".  

I can't tell you how many times this has kept me going!  

Oh and PS - I am going to review MyFitnessPal and Couch to 5K, but I am still getting used to those apps and their functions.  Last night I did workout two of Couch to 5K and somehow my phone rebooted so I was pissed as hell.  I was struggling as it was because I was pushing a stroller and damn, if that doesn't make the workout ten times harder!  So, it was either user error (more than likely!) or the App has some bugs.  We'll find out!

Here's me wishing I didn't pick the hilliest freaking route ever!!!  Not a pretty sight!  And at this point I still had a big hill to go up yet...ugh!  


My fabulously rainbow shoes!  I love color!

No comments:

Post a Comment