Pages

Thursday, July 18, 2013

Goodbye TV! I shall miss you! Sorta...

Having a kid can suck you dry - financially that is!

Before having Sprout, I used to think, man we don't have money just laying around.  How are we going to afford childcare?

Well, let me tell you, we can afford it and it AMAZES me how much money we just wasted before having him.  Ugh...the things we could have saved up for or paid off!  Oh well, hindsight is always 20/20, eh?

Sprout has definitely made me re-evaluate my health and happiness, which also included my finances.

My parents struggled when I was growing up, but they were still able to have a savings account.  My Mom always said 'Pay yourself first!' even if it was only $5 a week.  It adds up overtime if you leave it alone.  They sacrificed a lot so I could have things they didn't have growing up.  

I'd of course, like to do the same--give things I didn't have while growing up (without becoming a spoiled brat!).

So that leads me to saying goodbye to TV.  I said goodbye on June 11, 2013.  A month later and guess what??  

I don't miss it.  

Sure, it was nice to watch marathons of HGTV shows and getting lost in some of my guilty pleasure like re-runs of America's Next Top Model.  SMIZE!!  My husband will say he doesn't like these shows yet somehow he would manage to learn the names of the hosts or models...

But it also led to me sitting for hours, avoiding working out, cooking a healthy meal, the list goes on and on.  

Now, I will admit we do subscribe to Hulu and Netflix, but I really only find myself catching up on Supernatural occasionally.  Sorry hubs - I love me some Jensen Ackles!  

Pic from doblelol.com
Just look at those perfect teeth!  I know, I'm weird - who freaking obsesses over teeth?!?!

Anyway, other than sneaking in the occasional Supernatural episode, I find myself thinking "Hmmmm, what's a gal to do with herself?"

I finally am nesting in my own damn house, 2 years after moving in...

It feels good!

I feel like I MOVE more!

I feel like I'm not SITTING constantly!  

I just feel FREE from the damn couch and the damn TV!  I do NOT miss it!

I feel LIBERATED!  

I also feel really stupid for not realizing just how much time TV took up part of my life.  I don't want my child glued to the TV and it seems as people get older, the only thing they do is watch even more TV.  I don't want to be that person.  I want to be out and about, rocking my wrinkly butt to concerts, parks, malls, whatever.

So in the end, not only did ending TV free up some $$ for diapers/formula (oh the delusions I had about breast feeding!), but it's freeing up time for me to spend with Sprout, the Hubs, friends and other family.  And more importantly, it's freeing me from the couch.  


No comments:

Post a Comment